Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's wrong with "One Nation Under God"?

After reading my classmate’s, Jose Ramos, blog about religion trying to creep into the public classroom, I find myself disagreeing with Mr. Ramos. In his posting, Jose talks about the efforts the Texas School Board has been taking to insert religious doctrines into middle school science classes. A proposed "strength and weakness" clause that would promote theories about intelligent design as opposed to evolution is the Boards' main focus. Mr. Ramos disagrees with introducing these ideas so early and prefers they be taught at a higher level of schooling such as high school or college. I on the other hand, would like to see these theories implemented at a younger age. If we only teach our children one theory or the other, it contradicts the idea of choice and variety. True, a middle school student probably will not fully comprehend the subject in it's entirety, but the fact that they are both presented would help them later understand that they are only theories, and deciding in which you believe in is a personal choice. I thought Mr. Ramos made a sound argument about his preference, but I’m going to have to go the other way on this one. Apart from a few grammatical errors, I thought it was a well written blog about a well known touchy subject.

No comments: